A physician who was suspended last year from medical registration due to sexual harassment and harassment of young colleagues can work again within months.
Mr James Gilbert, a high -profile transplant surgeon, was suspended for eight months by the Medical Court, but the General Medical Council (GMC) began an appeal, saying that he should be removed from medical registration, which prohibits him as a physician.
On Thursday, the Supreme Court judge of the judiciary of Calor, awarded the GMC appeal to cancel the tribunal decision, but ordered that Mr Gilbert should have a 12 -month suspension instead of leaving it.
The judge said he had agreed to the decision of the court that clearing from medical record would be a “inappropriate” punishment.
This means that at the end of 12 months, Mr. Gilbert will face a review board in August that he decides whether he is appropriate for training. If he decides that he is right to practice, he can work again.

A spokesman for the GMC said in response to the ruling that it was investigating the arbitration in detail.
“We have argued that Mr. Gilbert’s behavior was incompatible with the registration and was all more serious because he was a senior official, as a consultant and coach with the responsibilities of surgical trainees, so we are disappointed that instead of replacing the suspension by clearing the doctor, we had a medical registration,” he said.
GMC added: “We thank the doctors for raising serious concerns about Mr. Gilbert with our employers and helping us in our research. It is a worrying that such behaviors have been challenged for a long time, and a large part of eradicating such unacceptable behaviors, and those who feel unacceptable behaviors, and who are helping those who feel unacceptable behaviors. “
In August 2024, Mr. Gilbert, while working at the Oxford University Health Foundation, sexually abused four women and touched three of them.
The main trial heard the claimed behavior between 2009 and 2022, including the allegations that Mr. Gilbert asked a trainee, “So you are a sport? I can always say which girls are or what it is.
She is also said: “” You have a good girl gathered, you should always wear underwear, right? What kind of type do you wear now? “
In another alleged incident, he put his hands up and down the body of a young colleague without consent.
It is also claimed that when referring to the patient’s weight of the Asian origin, Mr. Gilbert told a colleague, “This is what if you eat prints” or words come to this conclusion. “
According to the Supreme Court’s evidence, after Mr. Gilbert was removed from Oxford University hospitals, he selected the NHS program at the new Foscote Hospital and made surgical and outpatient appointments, allowing NHS patients to choose from.
He is said to have made changes from August 2022 to January 2023 at Brighton and Sussex Hospital.
Since January 2023, Mr. Gilbert has been appointed as a senior medical director in the new Foscote & Royal Buckinghashshire hospitals and continued to perform NHS hernia surgery.
“I accept the Supreme Court’s order and the suspension,” said Mr. Gilbert.
“We always carefully consider the appeal of any learning that can be used to improve future decisions by MPS courts,” said a spokesman for MPS.
The new Foscote & Royal Buckinghashshire Group and Sussex Trust University hospitals approached for comment.